Sunday 27 October 2019

WHAT A FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE

I would like to thank P&K County Golf Union for this weekend’s fantastic P&K Masters Final. Alex and I qualified and played our semi final on Gullane number 2 on Saturday. We went 3 up after 3 and were pegged back and by 16 were 2 down with 2 to play, dormie but won 17 and when Alex hit a 3 iron to 3ft for an eagle 2 on 18 it was all square and extra holes were required. Unfortunately we lost on the 21st. We then went to our overnight accommodation, the Renaissance Club, the current home of the Scottish Open and wow what a place !!!! 5 Star plus. Our room was spectacular. The food was superb. The Course today was amazing and makes it into my top 2 after Kingsbarns. The greens are huge with unbelievable undulations making putting and approach play very important. We gelled well today. Alex birdied the first and I birdied the par 5 3rd after finding a fairway bunker and hitting my 3rd shot to 10ft and holing out. We stayed 2 up through 7 before losing 8 but restored that on 9 and increased it to 3 when I birdied the 10th. We lost 11 and 14 before halving 16 with birdies Alex only missing out with his eagle putt. The par 3 17th with the pin in a bowl behind the front bunker forced us all to go big and we both played decent chips to within 4 foot and when Alex’s putt slipped past I was left to hole out and win the match and secure 3rd place. With this being Alex’s last amateur event before playing as a Professional it was my pleasure to spend the last 2 days in his company. His ball striking is amazing and distance control superb and he is a credit to his family who have given him so much support and I know he will be a success wherever his golfing career takes him.
We were 4 under par better ball gross both days in very windy conditions (3 club wind) on 2 very testing courses. I wish Alex ever success as a Pro and can’t wait to play with him in pro-ams at the Midlands Alliance.



No comments: