Saturday 22 May 2021

RESCUE MISSION

James and Adrian were out playing when they got caught in a hail storm. They were playing the 6th and unfortunately Adrian didn’t have the best of shots off the tee and whilst playing his 2nd shot he lost grip of his club which sailed through the air and landed in the pond in front of the green!!! Fortunately the weight of the club head took it to the bottom and left a couple of inches of grip showing above the surface but it was too far out to reach. As this is a club from his Hire Set Adrian came and told me and I said no worries I will go down tomorrow and get it. Early next morning I went down to find the club still standing about 10yds into the pond. Impossible to reach I decided to do a Ron Brodie who had retrieved Kirsty’s club back in 2013. I phoned a fisherman friend and borrowed his chest waders but when I stepped into the pond I realised the amount of silt on the bottom had built up over the years and I immediately started to sink. I only managed to get out about 3yds before my health and safety officer (Dawn) advised me through stifled laughter to try plan C. I phoned George looking for a boat and he said AYP (Alyth Youth Partnership) had the very thing, a Coracle they had built 2 years ago but it didn’t have a paddle. Undeterred by this I made another call and my sister Bette and I found one in a huge canoe she has suspended from her garage roof !! 
We launched said Coracle and I spent most of the next 10 minutes trying to paddle straight without just going round and round. After a few attempts our trip to Venice came to mind and I thought I would be better punting (George’s idea really) and eventually the club has retrieved. We have had to put music over the videos as a few naughty words may have been used in its making. This is the lengths any dedicated Junior Convenor will go. 


 



No comments: