Wednesday 13 April 2016

THINK I MAY HAVE JUST WITNESSED A BOY TO MAN TRANSFORMATION

Alex asked if I would play in the Gents Wednesday sweep and what I witnessed today was something special, probably one of the promising rounds I have ever seen. He shot a gross 70 nett 67 and it could have quite easily have been 6 shots better !!! Some of the highlights were drive and 8 iron to 8 ft on the 1st, 3 wood and 3 iron to 12th green and 3 wood and sand wedge to 12 ft on 14th. His ball striking especially irons to the greens was exceptional and he gave himself so many opportunities. I believe this year we will see him make the progress his play deserves and with a handicap cut of 0.4  to 2.7 in his first competitive round will spur him on especially with Kirsty nipping at his heels to lead out the scratch league team. She has been keeping him up to date with her handicap cuts so I think she might have been the catalyst to today's terrific round. I'm sure the 2 of them will enjoy the tussle to be number 1. Their home course of Strathmore certainly seems to be the place to play to reduce their handicaps to where they want them to be. Congratulations to Kirsty who has qualified to take part in the Helen Holm at Troon. 
Georgia joined Alex and I for her 2nd card for handicap and took 4 shots off her previous one and I see huge potential in her. A small swing adjustment and a bit of pace judgement on the greens will see a Congu handicap very soon, very impressed. 
The spirit within the section is probably at the highest I have ever witnessed with experienced players improving beyond my expectations, encouraging each other on and willing to help younger players progress. I am so encouraged for the future and can't wait to see what's going to happen next.
Ps This weeks Blairgowrie Advertiser sports section also features Kirsty.

No comments: