Thursday 29 April 2021

TURNED THE CLOCK BACK THIS WEEK

15 plus years ago I met a junior at Strathmore who reminded me so much of  myself. In 2007 I played him in the Gents Club Championship Final and that night made a phone call to get him involved in County golf. It was because of him I took an interest in Junior golf and trying to help youngster improve their games. He went on to win the u18 stroke play championship and represent Perth & Kinross at both Junior and Senior level. Last year he re-joined Strathmore and I was delighted when he accepted my invitation to become my doubles partner. We went out on Tuesday for a practice round and all the old memories came flooding back. What I have lost in distance Allan has made up for. Both our short game are sharp and our years of putting practice gives us confidence on the greens. We played our first match on Wednesday and he was giving away 14 and 6 shots but thanks to our 3 birdies on 11, 12 and 13 we finished the game on 17. Looking forward to our next match and it makes being Junior Convenor so worthwhile as after the match he said if it wasn’t for the encouragement we gave him years ago he may not have continued with golf. 

 



Loads of kids out playing tonight. More Fun Handicaps awarded and  certificates about to be gained 










No comments: