Sunday 23 March 2014

LEITFIE LINKS SCRATCH CHAMPIONSHIP



Today I won my favourite competition for the 12th time. Dawn also won the Ladies Scratch yesterday. I will now give a history lesson. We moved to Alyth in 1994 and I had played golf at Alyth Golf Club as a youngster when I lived in Coupar Angus but when we moved back into the area most clubs had waiting lists. I heard there was a new course being planned and went to meet Pat Barron who drove me round his fields in a Landrover showing me where the courses were planned. We decided to join and are members 21 and 22. In 1995 the Leitfie Course opened and we had to wait until 1996 to play the Rannaleroch Course but during that time we played  Leitfie and what a brilliant place to practice your short game. Every March before the season starts I go down after work and get in 9 holes. 5 years ago when I became junior convenor we played most of our competitions on the wee course but as time has gone on and the improvements our juniors have made we hold most of our competitions on the Rannaleroch but our Captains drive in, fun competitions and texas scrambles are still held on Leitfie and I am convinced this practice has helped our juniors progress to where they are today. As most of you know I am quite competitive and am always up for a challenge and issued this one on the 24th January 2014 -  Only January and so much happening. Really excited to see what 2014 brings - with the nights starting to stretch I feel the Leitfie challenge looming and with my last round being a 59 can't wait to see who is first to step up to give it a go !!! Only Alex Simpson took up the challenge but we played the big Course every time as he has the advantage of out hitting me off the tee !! Well done today to junior captain Callum Ewan who took 3rd place nett only losing out by one shot.

2008 junior prize winners below - recognise anyone?








 
                 

No comments: