Sunday 19 May 2013

IF YOUR GOOD ENOUGH YOUR OLD ENOUGH

Last Saturday I wrote this headline about Michael Brodie and Brad Bannerman now add Alex Simpson to that list. He played for the Gents in the Bell Trophy at Craigiehill against Perth Academy Former Pupils and pulled off a superb 3&2 win. I was playing in the match ahead and was 1up playing 17 but missed a putt to lose the hole. Seeing him watching me tee off on 18 I was determined to win my match as I didn't want to let him down, my best drive of the day followed by a 5 iron to 10ft secured my win. The team had lost the 1st match and needed a win from the last 2 but unfortunately although both went to the 18th the team lost 3&2.

Alex was complemented very highly from his opponent and won't have done his future ambitions any harm as a Scottish Selector was playing for their team.

We had a very enjoyable time on the journey home discussing our matches. Alex's match play record is superb, his competitive spirit combined with his natural ability is incredible and the experience of playing at this level left him unfazed. Well done great performance and yet another record smashed - youngest junior to play for a Strathmore Gents team.

      

No comments: